Sunday, December 26, 2010

Some fancy painting

I've been working on the door frames and the floors since they're the only pieces that require more than the standard 3 color scheme.  All right, yes.  I could have done all basic floors for the rooms and left the door frames painted in the same scheme as the rest of the dungeon.  But where's the fun in that?



I'm going with very bright colors since they're meant to be seen from gaming distance.  No faux anything on these.  There's some floors that match but the rooms are all getting painted as I see fit.  Actually I need to finish building all the floors.

You can see the 2mm foam I use to base them on this picture.  Typically you wouldn't be seeing them from this angle and even now you can see that the foam doesn't go all the way to the edges.  The foam is multi-purpose.  It gives stability to the piece which is important on things like the door frames and the floors where they can be subject to stress when they're used.  It also keeps the pieces from scratching the table.  Lastly it gives a little bit of traction so they don't slide around.  It's not thick enough to call attention to the fact the pieces are raised above the table either.

I found I can paint 40 corridor sections at a time instead of the 30 I was planning for in the paint schedule.  More is good.  I'm using a finer brush so I don't get lines in the paint job.  You'll see them soon enough because once I get these done I can make a small layout for a photo session.  I'm alternating floors (easy) with the walls and corners (more work) and they should all be finished in at most 4 paint sessions.  In the middle of all this I want to finish building the rooms because they're bordered with the cracked floor tiles and I hate wasting painting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment