Saturday, December 11, 2010

OK - the light bulb just went off

I'm assembling the floor pieces in sections.  2 tiles into 4 tiles, etc.  As I was making the first set of 4 tile squares I realized that everything in the dungeon corridors is based off that 4 tile square.  Well, I had to change the dead end to make the corners fit but that's an exception.

Since I haven't had any caffeine yet today the thought was kind of slow but it came together as "Well, if everything is made out of these 4 square tiles do I really need to make larger pieces?"

Correct.  I can make the components on the go.  That way I don't have to worry about needing a short corridor but only having long corridors left.  The dead ends just mean I leave some pieces as 2 tiles and that makes up the difference needed by the corners.  And in a pinch I can use 2 of the 2 tile pieces to make .. a 4 tile piece!

This will simplify building and transport since it's easier to deal with a bunch of 4 inch pieces than the longer and more fragile finished ones.

And this is why I've been taking my time while building.  Except for the miscalculation on the room sizes (which I should have noticed in Sketchup, it turns out) everything else has been working out well as it builds.  I actually have more corners built than I calculated but I'm fine with that.  I was thinking about making extra rooms to keep the game going longer and now that the corridors are modular as well I can just keep building as long as I have tiles.

Today I hope to paint up a couple of the player character minis.  First up are the mages.

No comments:

Post a Comment