Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Base coating is messy fun!

I can't base coat terrain without making a fun mess. I'm using thinned latex paints and have to put the base coat on heavy so it soaks into all the details, nooks and crannies. So I end up with a lot of paint on my hands both from the pieces themselves and the painting process. Luckily it's latex paint so it just scrapes off.

I'm probably going to paint the pieces completely and then varnish them rather than move them around during the process. Otherwise I'd have to do even more touch up painting than I do now. Yes, I go back over the pieces with a small brush and fill in all the spaces the base coat missed. I'm just that way.

I'm also painting the arena I finally finished building. I know it has nothing to do with the game board but it's a project well on its way to completion and I'd really like to have it done. If nothing else it makes sense to paint it while I have the paints out and it's just sitting there in the way.

The game board pieces can all be base coated in one step. That's great! The arena pieces will take more than that but eventually will get paint on all the sides. I've learned to take my time and paint in sections when there's no easy way to hold the piece without taking the paint off in fingerprint size pieces.

Putting the paint in a glass jar works great. I can close it up and shake it to remix as needed and it should stay useful far longer than in plastic. The dry brush colors should probably also be moved to glass jars but I'm not sure where I can get those in time. The plastic I have now should work as a short term solution.

I can easily paint 25 wall sections in the space I have and probably add at least 10 corners. The arena is taking up space but it's been doing that for a while now. Eventually I can move it off to the side. Once it has all its stone painted.

Tomorrow I'm back to casting floor tiles. I need them for the corridors and I'm using up what I have making the room floor frames. My friend is sending me a whole lot of casts but they're ever so slightly smaller than my casts so I need to mix up how I build them into the corridor pieces so everything lines up. Now that I know it I can adapt. They're smaller due to variations in plaster mixes and shrinkage. Yes, these things matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment