Monday, December 13, 2010

Getting ready to get things done!

Yeah, well. I should have done more stuff today but it was "one of those days". I did spend FAR too much time getting a new quart of paint for the base coat. But I did and while it doesn't exactly match the original shade (Note 1) it will work just fine since I don't have to match anything at this point. It might have made a difference half way through the project.

Obviously walls are done. I thought I was over on my corner needs but looking at the spreadsheet shows I'm actually 8 short, not 5 over. So I've got the floor tiles for 8 corners setting up. I'll stay up a little later to get the corners themselves started. Remember, these take the extra step.

I started building the floor border for the one completed floor. This one doesn't need to be inserted - I should be able to build it into the tiles. Any non Hirst floor tiles will take a little extra work but I knew that already. I still need to work on getting them to assemble the way I want them to (Note 2).

Tomorrow I'm planning on another full casting and building day and I can add in the painting part. I forgot to pick up cheap varnish while I was out but I need time for the paint to dry completely before putting on the hard candy shell.

Note 1 - The original shade was a mix using the paint chips Bruce sends out. And, of course, I had a smear of paint over the formula. The guy mixing the paint really couldn't get a good match and it would have been a custom mix from a custom mix. We found a standard color that's close enough. They really shouldn't put those labels on the can lids.

Note 2 - I'm not a noob and I can match up floor tiles. I really think these aren't 100% square so I'm going to take the True Sander and see if it takes anything off the sides. If so it would explain why I keep getting gaps when I try to make floor patterns match up.

No comments:

Post a Comment