Saturday, December 4, 2010

Grumble grumble grumble - door frames

I need 23 door frames for the 23 doors.  Pretty darn obvious and included in my planning.

What I did not anticipate was just how fragile the door frames are during construction.  There's only 2 small attachment points on the core pieces and until I finish them up with decoration and support pieces they're going to continue to be fragile.  I've already "unbuilt" half a dozen of them while moving them from the construction board to where I'm stacking them up.

Here's how they look while being built:



There's filler pieces at the top of the arch and to hold the side pieces the correct distance apart.  The doors are sitting in the frames to make sure the door frames will be the correct shape.  And yes, I still play with Lego*.

You can see that there's very little contact between the arch and the uprights.  That's caused me the headaches.

The next step is going to be attaching them to the floor tiles.  They'll be slightly less fragile but until I have the tops finished I need to be very, very careful with them.

I still haven't decided on just how I'm going to finish them.  I have a couple of ideas and a friend of mine is going to be spending some time with me going over various ways to complete them.  My original idea isn't bad but I'm always open to fresh ideas.

So now I'm working on the floor pieces so I can attach the door frames and have them ready for completion.

* These really aren't Lego.  They're Brix Blox, the Sears equivalent that I've had for at least 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment