Sunday, December 19, 2010

Painting done on the pieces I started

I went through and did the dry brushing to complete the paint jobs on all the ones I had base coated.  One thing that didn't turn out correctly was the light grey highlight.  It's the color I've used on all my grey painted builds in the past but it just wasn't working here.  I couldn't tell the difference between the mid color and the high color when they were painted.  So I went to pure white.

It's a little stark but it should show up well on the game table.



I didn't show a picture of all the painted pieces since they didn't really show up well and the light was quite frankly pants.

Honestly I don't think the pure white looks bad as the final highlight since I was going for contrast.  I need to find a better way to paint the cracked floor tiles since they show brush marks more than the other kinds of tiles.  I might use a flat brush instead of the normal less-than-quality ones I typically use for this kind of painting.  It's only an issue on the floors.

I know of 2 mistakes that I will notice but probably no one else will.  They're not obvious enough to make me want to rebuild those pieces so I'm going to try to ignore them as much as possible.  One is going to be very difficult for me.  But it's a small thing and once I'm using the game board I hope it won't bother me much.

That's a small portion of what needs to be painted.  I'll be working in smaller batches going forward so I can get them completely painted and then move on.  It was kind of a pain to deal with the large number of pieces here.

I did start painting room floors.  One is waiting on touch ups.  One broke when I was working with it.  I forgot the large rooms are going to be more fragile until they're on the foam bases.  Nothing I couldn't fix and did fix today.  The other floors are currently frames since the A&K tiles are slightly smaller and I need to work in some filler to make them fit correctly.  I have an idea that I want to test this week.  If it works, great.  If not then I need to figure out another way to evenly fill the gap both in construction and then from the visible side.  I have ideas but they require me to hit the dollar store or the craft store, depending on where I can get the materials I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment