Saturday, November 27, 2010

It's getting there

40 casts later and I think I'm good for the walls. I didn't take into account the 2" brick block (say that three times fast) which I can use instead of 2 1" bricks so that means I really need fewer of the 1" than listed. Then when building I found out that the 1/2" bricks are a bottleneck but I can build the same size wall using 1" bricks and that actually matches up the style with the corners so it looks good. Thereby using up the "extra" 1" bricks I cast.

Confusing, isn't it?

Yesterday I was able to build using the bricks I cast on Wednesday. I'm letting them dry for 2 days before using them. And since these are small and simple pieces I was able to build and let set during each cast. I used up everything I cast on Wednesday into everything I could build. So I've got a huge stack of walls waiting for floors.

I'm down to casting floors and individual pieces needed to make doorways and corners. A friend of mine is selling one of the out-of-production Hirst molds that makes nothing but the 3/4" brick and I told him I'd buy it. Very special use but now that I've found a way to use that brick and there's an advanced version of this game I know I'll be building onto the set I have. So it's a good investment all around. And it's out of production so it's one of those 'get it while you can' things.

I'm also finishing up my basic arena build. I have the 2 most complex pieces in construction and will work on the other 8 pieces while building the game board. Most of it is simple wall building, just larger and with a few decorative bits. Once the arena is done I'll paint it and all the finished game board pieces. I get my paint mixed up in quarts so I know everything will match. Then I can smile and show that I've made progress. And if I'm smart enough I'll also have a few floors done so I can do the fancy painting in good time.

Oh yeah. And I have to paint up the miniatures too.

No comments:

Post a Comment