Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Impatience is NOT a virtue

I thought I learned my lesson about slowing down and doing Hirst builds clean and correct. Of course I forgot that.

My decorative floor inserts aren't squarely aligned. That's my own fault for trying to do the entire floor build at once. So I took them apart, will sand off the glue, and then assemble them in the much slower but much more accurate way. What's that way? Doing this row by row so I can confirm that they're square before putting them together. That and using the absolute minimum amount of glue since they're going to be attached to 2mm foam and will have support.

Yes, this is much slower than just putting together the whole floor but what's the point if the decorations don't line up?

The floors I'm building now are being assembled in that method. Even though a 3 tile segment isn't quite square. I need to examine it and see if it's off kilter enough to A) be a problem and B) bother me. If either of those apply I break it apart and do the same darn thing. I have time to do this right.

On a positive note it turns out a custom mold I made lets me make the doorframes in many fewer casts with little assembly. I had 7 sets cast up and while I can't find the mold right now between those and building the others I may have enough for all the doorframes! Once I know for certain how many I need. This game board is difficult to plan.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could learn that. One reason I started this hobby was the hope it would teach me patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough. It's so tempting to make something really nifty all at once but then you find this flaw and that one then it isn't as nifty as you hoped.

    I'll be sanding down the floor pieces and deciding if they can be used or if I need to cast new ones. The good thing is that a full set of casts for me costs about $0.25 in materials, if that. So it's just time and frustration if I need to make more.

    ReplyDelete