Wednesday, April 1, 2009

So much for self-imposed deadlines

I did not complete any of my March goals regarding minis and terrain.  I'm a terrible person.

One reason for that is realizing that I need an army if I'm going to compete in the ReaperCon Warlord tournament so I needed something besides my demo armies.  I do have 5 complete armies on the shelf.  None of them are painted, of course.

I know I have elves started but decided not to go with them.  I have my reasons.

Two friends are painting up some dwarf minis for me so I decided to field them with my army.  The decision went to dwarves.  I then used the online data card search to find my troop composition.

I blatantly imposed on a friend to review my list and make sure I hadn't done anything grossly stupid and he agreed it was a pretty solid list.  I'm actually 8 points over the limit but I can adjust spells and such to make it fit.

Then I had to bring out the models and see what I had.  Given the list I'm good on all but the 2 sergeants I picked.  I don't have those models.  Of course.  But the proxy rules are good and I can use some solo figures I'm not fielding to fill in for them.  I do have the real ones on my 'to acquire' list (or will when I get around to it) so I can put the solos back into play.  There's no reason why I have to play the same army all the time.  A good part of the fun is trying new things.

I'm also in the process of painting up the Razig monster.  He's got his base coat on him and I'm running into the same issue someone else so astutely noted.  How can you paint something as undead that looks dead when it's alive?  I'm trying to paint an undead crab.  Not quite the easiest thing I've ever done but I think I have the colors worked out so it should turn out decently enough.

Once I apply myself he should be completed in an evening.  There's a few fiddly bits but nothing that requires a lot of painstaking detail.  So I can work faster without having to go back and spend all the time I tried to save doing cleanup.  I already painted the inner details and assembled the shell so that's done.  Now it's just externals and then attaching him to the base.  That's going to be interesting since there's no good connection points.

I think I'm going to mark where his legs touch the base, carve out some holes, then use the 2 ton epoxy to put him in place.  That seems like the most effective way of keeping him attached.

Everyone's bases will be a mix of driftwood, sand and seaweed.  That's going to be fun.  Undead pirates, remember?

And I'm going to try to enlist help in getting the arena base coated.  I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to my painting but I don't think they can screw up a base coat too badly.  Hopefully.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment