Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Um yeah, pictures

I guess I better find a way to get some pictures up and soon.  I keep building and painting but I can't prove it to anyone unless there's a picture or seven.  It's one of those 'I want the right light' but I don't want to actually set up my lights kind of thing.  Yes, I'm a slacker that way.

I did finally send off those Darkspawn after having them staring at me from my paint table for a very long time.  Slacker, remember?  I didn't send off any of my own army figs because I don't know what army to send and I felt really bad about how long it took me to send mine back.  The poor, patient recipient has renewed his offer to paint some for me and I think I'll have a look-see and decide what can be sent.  At least I'm not the last one, thank goodness.  I have to poke her with a stick to get this round completed.

I decided that I also needed a basic arena set to go with my decorative arena set.  The good news is that these are pretty simple builds and only use one mold.  The bad news is that I'm out of a lot of the bricks I need now.  So I brought up the casting supplies again.  I was torn between casting the arena mold and casting the basic brick mold.  I still need to build the rest of my decorative arena but I also need to build a piece for a challenge that will use a lot of the basic bricks.  Right now I have the arena mold but I'm not completely certain that's the second mold I'll be casting.

I did get the base coat on more of the finished arena pieces for trade.  Except for some finials I think I have all the pieces built.  There is one large piece that needs to be sent in sections and he's aware of that.  I'll paint it, he'll just have to do the final assembly.  Much easier to ship that way.  And base coating is a nice way to end the evening.

I figured out why it takes me so long to paint these rather basic terrain pieces.  I can't help but paint to the standards of my own personal pieces.  So that means going over them a couple of times and finding all the little spots that didn't get a base coat.  I know I could just hit the glaringly obvious ones but I just can't do it.  So I spend a little more time at the beginning and I'm pleased with the result.  The current pieces are being done in the stone color but none of the accents have been painted.  I'm kind of holding off until I have a few since I'll have the paint out and all.  Exactly the same reason I paint several of the terrain pieces at the same time.  It's more time effective.  Kind of like army painting.

And finally I decided to clean my brushes.  I hadn't done it for a while and I've been using them quite a bit.  So I went through my entire set of main brushes (about 12) and then my terrain brushes (about 10).  This means using the brush cleaner to get out all the dried paint, rinse, then add mastic and shape.  All my main brushes are sitting out and getting some air.  The terrain brushes sit upright in a container so that's not an issue.  I even cleaned all the dried paint off the tools I use to open up clogged dropper bottles.  Those were done by softening the paint with brush cleaner then taking a craft knife and scraping off all the paint.  There was quite a bit but I could tell that just by looking.  It was one of those things I had been putting off.

I know I could get more paint out of some of the terrain brushes but it was getting late and I was getting tired.  So for now, they're better.

And that was my evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment