Monday, January 21, 2008

I don't wanna be patient any more!

I started work on the scrolls for my magic shop today.  Well, last night really.

I like using rice paper for these kinds of things as it is very thin but surprisingly tough.  So last night I cut strips off the roll to be 2 inches long.  Tonight I cut those into 1/2 inch strips.  So now I have a nice little pile of very white paper in 2 inch by 1/2 inch strips.

If you're going to paint rice paper here's a handy hint.  If you're going for smooth color wet the paper first.  Otherwise it will streak as you paint it.  If you want the streaky effect, go for it.

Paint, leave until mostly dry, roll, glue.  Paint, leave until mostly dry, roll, glue.  Realize that you can have more than one scroll drying at a time.  Realize that if the scroll isn't dry enough the glue won't stick.

I'm going to try painting them and then waiting for them to dry completely on the next few.

This takes a lot longer than I remember.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment