Wednesday, December 5, 2012

And into the Simple Green they went

The little ships are much different from painting minis.  There's a lot of great detail on these but it turns out not all of it gets painted.  Weird.

My ships went into the Simple Green bath last night and are now sitting here in spiffy new coats of primer.  I also couldn't glue them onto craft sticks like other mini.  That made it very difficult to get to areas to paint.  They're now on individual bottle caps and I used poster tack to hold them in place.  The resin is very slick and the glue didn't 'take'.  Live and learn.

My paint scheme idea was about 75% good.  Problems included, but were not limited to, having too many colors and trying to paint too many things.  I'm going to take silver and grey out of the mix and do the blue-white and gold.  The "power source" is a blue-green per the fluff so that will be in there as well but shouldn't look that bad.  It's not in a lot of places but it is there.

I also painted some of the areas out of order.  That one was my fault entirely.  I know better than that.

The experience I gained will serve me in good stead.  I also looked at some of the larger ships and found out what will work better on the smaller ones.  Some of the detail just isn't there on the larger ones so I don't have to worry about it as much on the small ones.  This pleases me.

Tonight I hope to at least put on the blue base coat again.  That will take 2 coats since I need to put on thin layers.  It would be too easy to clog up the fine detail and I use thin layers anyway.  If I get that done then I'll shade the areas that will get the gold detail.  That will be plenty for one night and will get me started on them again.

I'll try to take pictures of them this time around and post WIP shots as I go.  My guess is that I won't be using the Simple Green again but even if I do it's good to see what happened and why it didn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment