Monday, March 31, 2008

Army Exchange Work in Progress Shots

I did more than just these tonight but I didn't get pictures of one thing and the other isn't quite all together yet.  So you're stuck with my WIP shots.

I coordinated an army round-robin kind of thing.  For those who signed up, here's how it is going.  The first person sends out four minis to each person in the round along with a color scheme.  Each person has two months to paint them and send them back.  Then the next person does the same thing and so on.  This one takes more of a time commitment than a simple single miniature to be done in two months. *

These are from a Reaper Warlord Darkspawn army.  I'm not familiar with this army so I was at a loss as to how to paint them correctly.  I got some great advice from my buddy Shakandra so I have a much better idea of how to make these look right.

The fluff said they had either violet or purple skin.  I can't remember right now.  But the color scheme for this army is flame red so I needed to make the skin not clash.  That's why the subtle.

The skin color uses undercoating.  That means I put a coat of purple down and the brought the skin tones up on top of it.  That tints the skin colors without having to mix the purple into every layer.  I like this.  It's my newest favorite technique.

The hair isn't finished.  That's just the base coat.  I'm going to take it up to a very light cream white so that vivid marigold is only in the deep shadows.  That's another technique I'm liking but still practicing.

Once skin and hair are complete it's on to armor.  Armor will be a neutral because of all the colors on there already.  And I'm tempted to use my 'bad guy' leather colors.  I found that using the tanned skin colors really creep me out when used for anything but skin.  However using them for leather on the bad guy figures just makes them that much badder, in my opinion.

* For those not familiar, a miniature exchange is generally a double blind.  You send your name to the coordinator, sometimes with a preference as to what you want.  The coordinator matches up people.  So the person you're painting for is not the person painting for you.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment