Monday, January 7, 2019

I Airbrushed! (No Pictures)

I finally used my darn airbrush. I only used one and I used it to prime the minis for my dungeon crawl. I did this long after I should have done so.

I expected this to be good practice and it was. I learned that it's another tool that I need to learn to use better. Priming is great for practice because it doesn't matter what it looks like in the middle - it's going to be a solid coat at the end.

I'll be on my third photo tent enclosure when it arrives. I went from 60x60x60cm to 40x40x40cm to 30x30x30cm. I can't really go smaller than that. I didn't really measure the area well and I don't know what I'm going to do with the extra photo tents but I'll figure something out. Or not.

I did find that wearing a mask is A Good Idea. I also hope the fan I'm getting is powerful enough to pull the overspray into the filter. If not I may have to do some surgery on it to get a better fan in place. I'm hoping with practice there will be less of that but from what I read from my friends there's always paint flying about.

I'm debating about trying the airbrush on the minis for actual painting, even if just doing some base coats. I do need to learn but I also need to get these painted. It's a tossup. Plus I've got appointments after work pretty much all week so that limits my time overall.

The good news is that I used the airbrush, I understood how to use it, I realized that I'm going to need practice, I'm OK with needing practice, and that I cleaned it with a minimum of effort. All those are good because they're steps forward.

Which is why I'm tempted to use it for actual painting. But it's probably smarter to hold off and practice with ink and paper when I have more time. That means breaking out the brushes for the minis. Although those base coats are tempting me...

No comments:

Post a Comment