Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ReaperCon - an overview

Why an overview?  I'll tell you.  Too much to separate out into day-by-day.

I took four classes.  Three were painting, one was sculpting.  From the painting classes I learned

  • While I could get the really smooth color transitions I like seeing I don't want to put that much effort into painting them.
  • I'm doing pretty much everything right for painting armies.  Adding some colored washes to the armor makes a huge difference for very little effort.
  • Demi-metallics are really the way to go (using both pigment paint and metallic paint) in order to get the best of both worlds.
  • Sculpting can be fun, if you have someone who can hold your hand.

I did speed painting (lost), Sophie Says (like Simon Says but with paint) and was picking paint off for days, did some color theory tests using the reformulated Reaper Pro Paints, cashed in a lot of pewter in exchange for a lot of pewter, helped a friend get what he wanted from the auction on Sunday, chatted with lots and lots and lots of people, now have the only Urban Legend Starmaine (unicorn) in existence, and all kinds of other stuff.

The after convention convention was a hoot.  I learned that approaching 21 again from the other direction doesn't help you bounce back like you used to.  And that sleep is an overrated commodity when there is so much fun to be had.

I can't wait for the next ReaperCon but have an entire year before it can happen.  I'll have to use that time to apply the classes I took and paint up some of that pewter I brought home.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment