Thursday, April 2, 2020

Drawing 101 - Class 3 of 3

The class got canceled due to the pandemic after the third session.

Anyway, here's how it went.

The instructor handed out a picture of a painted still life and told us to draw it. Then he sat back and played on his phone for most of the class. He walked around a few times, gave some mild critique, but pretty much left us to our own devices. I wasn't impressed.

This time it was just myself and MG (manga girl). PL (Pinterest lady) didn't show up and SAG (serious art guy) had said he wouldn't be there. I don't blame PL. I called the county recreation department earlier that day to find out if there would still be class and the person who answered the phone said the powers that be were in a meeting about that.

The still life he chose was dark and in my opinion not great for drawing in plain pencil. It would have been more suited to colored pencils. But we were still using regular pencils so we did our best. I only took one picture because there was no point (in my opinion) of taking more.


All in all I found this a waste of class time. We don't get the full two hours anyway since he wants to pack up and get out before the main doors close.

I think you can see where color is necessary for this reproduction. It's dark to start and the only things that stand out are vibrant in color. I went with my strengths (design work and composition) then ignored the rest.

Yes. I know the table placement is completely off. I redrew that a few times while working then decided it wasn't worth more effort. The cherries started to become black blobs the more I tried to detail them. The tablecloth design isn't spaced right. I did do hatchwork shading this time and found that it was an interesting choice that I will explore further.

On one of his few rounds the teacher complimented me on the bowl design. Honestly that was the easiest part for me so I find it surprising that other people would have trouble with it. It's basic line work. But hey, I'll take it a compliment. I just realized that he may have chosen the one non-terrible thing to compliment me on. Oh well.

At the end he started getting all excited about our next class being a grid format full human figure. That means having a grid over a smaller drawing of the figure and translating it into a larger picture. That's not 101 stuff in my opinion. Both myself and MG said that it didn't interest us. He seemed disappointed and I think that also means he didn't know what to do for our next class.

I didn't sign up for life drawing. I signed up for learning the basics of how to draw. He didn't seem to realize that the provided supply list included colored pencils and pastels so he probably didn't have plans to teach those either. He did say he needed to talk to the county about that list, reinforcing my guess.

Would I do this again? Sure. With a different instructor. I didn't dislike this guy and he did have some of the basic instruction requirements. But he reminds me of some of the miniature painters I know. They spend so much time doing advanced techniques that they literally cannot teach the basics.

And the watercolor class I had scheduled after this one is also cancelled. They closed the facility until the end of April which would have meant we missed four of the six classes. I already bought the supplies. Silly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment