Tuesday, February 25, 2020

How I Roll - Fudging Dice Rolls

Fudging dice rolls is a big discussion item in the gaming world. Some people believe that all dice rolls - including the GM's rolls - should be in the open. Some believe that certain player rolls should be done by the GM. Some believe that the GM shouldn't even use dice.

I like rolling behind my little screen. Honestly the dice results tend to be more of guidelines than rules in my game since I don't let the dice run my game. But that's a delicate line to walk.

Fudging dice rolls is something you need to do judiciously. I lean towards rolls in the players' favor but sometimes not. It's all depending on the situation. Most times I know what's going to happen regardless of what the dice say.

So why do I roll when I don't adhere to the results? As I said they give me some guidance on how to proceed. If the dice are constantly trying to kill the PCs then I'm going to hit them harder. If the dice like them and refuse to let me so much as wing them I'll tilt the encounter that way. If combat is dragging on I'll end it one way or another without resorting to dice.

The way I play can't be done with open rolls.

Back to the topic at hand - fudging the GM rolls. That depends on the GM, the game, the setting, the players, and the outcomes. It's a lot to think about. And once you make the decision to roll open or behind the screen it's going to be the way you roll for the game.

FYI - it's much more difficult to fudge dice rolls the players can see. If you roll a 20 there's no way they're going to believe that you did 3 points of damage. You need to be comfortable with killing off PCs if you're going to open roll. Think about that.

My games are story driven. That requires me to keep my dice rolls to myself.

Now - about those player rolls that GMs do. The ones I've heard them doing are when there's a DC involved or a perception. This way the roll is completely unknown except for the results. I've considered that and decided against it. Not so I could fudge them but I don't want the players to think I'm running their characters.

If a player can't roll their own result for something then they're going to start wondering if dice matter. They also lose the fun of rolling and discovering the results. The entire thing smacks of a GM who can't give up control of aspects of the game. I don't like that. However if the group doesn't complain then the GM who does it isn't wrong.

My players are pretty darn sure I fudge dice rolls. I don't fudge as many as they think because my dice all hate me and love my players it seems. Mostly I fudge on damage rolls until they're beefed up enough they can take it. Even then I shy away from massive damage if I can. Unless the player has been getting uppity. Then a handful of d6 damage to their character can humble them a bit.

How I Roll

I use dice to help me guide the story but not to rule my game. I fudge when I feel it's needed for the attitude of the players and the rhythm of the game.

I also do random dice rolls for no reason, just to keep them on their toes. There's a lovely warm feeling to having them roll a perception, making a note, and telling them to carry on. That's not fudging as much as making them wonder what the heck just happened.

I feel that whether or not to fudge is a personal decision for the GM. We have so much going on that it might be easier to simply roll in the open and let the dice handle the situation, regardless of the outcome. There's nothing wrong with that. I can't do it because I don't want to turn a PC into chum because my dice rolled hot that one time.

I'll keep my dice behind my screen, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment