Monday, December 24, 2018

The One Page Backstory, Explained

When I run games I limit the backstory a player can write to one page, 12 point font, 1 inch margins. Yes, I know players. I also add the caveat that there be no tropes.

Why do I do this? Why do I limit my players' creativity and ability to tell me the full story of their character? Why don't I let them use certain story elements? Let me tell you.

I'm not limiting them as much as making them think in a certain way. I start my games a low levels so there shouldn't be a lot of time to have a story anyway. I want to know where they came from and why they're out adventuring. That's really it. Everything from there will be developed as the game progresses.

Why don't I allow tropes? Because they're cop outs. They're what players use when they don't want to make fully fleshed out characters. Saying you're out for vengeance on a race because they killed your family isn't really original and it has no depth. Find a story that will work out in 'the real world' of adventuring. Give your character some originality.

Another reason for this is I don't allow players' backstories to drive the game. So no major plot points are allowed in backstories. You're not searching for your family's stolen signet ring. You're not looking for your long lost brother. You're not railroading the game to focus on you. Sure you can have those things in the backstory but don't expect me to run the game so you can achieve them. I have other players there who don't give a darn about your little drama.

I do read the backstories. I try very hard to weave them into the game. I give bonuses and/or items to players to fit in with what they would have had when they walked into the game. If they're going to write it I'm going to read it. Which is another reason I want them kept short. I have enough to do without wading through pages and pages of self-aggrandizing story that the player will expect to have integrated into the game.

So think about that if you're starting up a new game and starting players at lower levels. Let them give a sketch of their history and make a painting at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment