Saturday, October 8, 2011

Running Games at Conventions

My game club has a discussion going right now about running games at the local conventions.  We haven't really done so the last couple of times.

I had to cancel my games at the last one due to work pressures.  I was the only club member running games and mine isn't a game the club actually plays but I put it as a club game since I'm a member and wanted our name in the program.

Because of this I really had to think about why I run games at conventions.  Canceling was a hard decision.

I don't play games at the conventions.  I just prefer not to do so.  I don't know or meet many people there.  Since those are the two main reasons to go to a convention it seems a bit of a waste to go just to run games and then leave.

In the balance I think I would much rather run my games at local stores.  I can support the stores and run games when I want to.  I've also got much more of a chance of getting to know people since I know where they hang out.

The game club has a harder decision since it has to do with relying on the members to put in the effort.   I don't see myself running games for the club again.  I don't know that I'll run them at the conventions at all.

Discuss your thoughts on running games and where you like to run them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rastl, we chatted once on the HA forum, thought I'd drop by and say hello. I'm not a gamer, but love building with HA. At the moment I'm planning an Egyptian diorama using the temple project as a centrepiece. Was chatting with Abaroth this morning, and he sends his regards.
    Cheers
    Rox.

    ReplyDelete