Thursday, April 3, 2008

Army Exchange Work in Progress Shots - Continued


Still working on these little guys.  I did get an idea on how to paint what from someone else who suffered through painting them so I'm well on my way to being done.

For those who don't paint minis, red is one of the more difficult colors to paint.  It just doesn't cover and then you have to be careful highlighting it so it doesn't go all pink on you.  I stopped tonight after getting everything red I wanted red.  Trying to do more would have been .. bad.  As it is I have a little cleanup to do where red went places I didn't want red.

I'm saying 'red' a lot but that's because it was what I painted tonight.

Here's a better shot of the violet skin and stuff.

For those who want to know, you get a good deep red by painting it another color first.  Red by itself doesn't cover very well so you end up with splotchy coverage.  I painted all the red areas a rust brown that has fantastic coverage.  Then the red only had to darken that.  It's what we call "a trick of the trade".

The person who sent these want them done in what is called the Fire Triad.  It goes through oranges and yellow.  So I'll start bringing the highlights up to that yellow, probably starting tomorrow.  Then it's just the metallics and some detailing, like the horns on some of them, buckles, etc.

The end is in sight.



Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. I'm really curious to see how these will work out. When do you get to send your army out to be painted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really look good considering the subject-matter. I suppose it's "each to their own"..and being an overt orc-fancier, I gots my own too, but Isiri are just plain not-very-pleasant-to-look-at no matter how you try. Steve bought a few some time ago and says he just stared at them for days not having a clue as to what to do with them. The older dark elves are much nicer on the eyes.
    As for reds, you're far better at them than I am, and I like your notions for the skintones.

    ReplyDelete